Thursday, May 11, 2006

Why I love (and hate!) holistic medicine

I'm having a love/hate relationship with my herbal and homeopathic remedies today. Just yesterday, I was complaining to Wayne about how sick I was getting. I seriously felt like my head was in a vice. My throat hurt so much that the only thing that kept going through my head was a commercial from about 15 years ago, "It'll hurt if I swallow," and it did! So much so that I couldn't sleep last night because everytime I swallowed, it woke me up. My neck was so stiff because my glands we so swollen. Ug. That's all I can say about how I felt. Ug.

Well, at the first sign that I was getting sick, I popped three "tabbies" of Ferrum Phos in a 3x and the last of my Nutribiotic Defense Plus as well as a dropper full of eleuthero root (or siberian ginseng.) I then proceeded to give Savannah a dropper full of Mommy's All Better to boost her immune system to help ensure that she doesn't get what is obviously going to be the worst cold ever. (All of these, with the exception of the eleuthero root can be purchased at All Natural Mamas.)

So, I go to bed hoping that lying down is going to help. Not a chance. Like I mentioned before, every time I swallowed, it woke me up. I didn't sleep well at all. When Wayne kissed me goodbye before going to work, I just mouthed the words "Love you" because I knew that saying them out loud would hurt like hell. I just knew my day was going to suck because Savannah just wants to play, and I just want to lie on the couch all day.

Finally, I muster up enough courage to get out of bed and try to start my day. I go downstairs, eat a small breakfast and take all my vitamins (that is another blog in and of itself) along with two ibuprofen. Oh. I also take another dropper full of eleuthero root. I'm actually not feeling half bad by that time, but I just know it's going to get worse. After about a half hour, my throat barely hurts, I can turn my neck without wincing, and I'm no longer aching. No f'ing way.

At this point, I'm ecstatic that my remedies worked. I'm not going to get that sick! WooHoo! Then it hits me. Damn. I bitched and complained to Wayne all night the night before about how sick I was getting and now I'm pretty much fine. Now I'm beginning to hate the effectiveness of my remedies. He's never going to believe I went from my death-bed to "Eh. It's not that bad." Should I milk it? Keep up the rouse that I'd rather bang my head into a wall that feel the way I do? Nah. This stuff works, and he should know it by now. So he calls, I tell him I'm fine, and he doesn't even blink an eye. Cool.

I am getting a bit achy now, at 8:33pm, but I'm just going to continue the Ferrum Phos, eleuthero root, and ibuprofen, and I'm sure I'll be fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment