Saturday, February 24, 2007

Soooo Waldorf!

Savannah and I made homemade pretzels yesterday.  Although she had fun, I have to say they were a pain in the butt!  I'd never baked with live yeast before, so that was an experience.  Luckily one of my bestfriends, Natalie bakes a lot so she was able to help me. 

 Getting the space ready was easy.  I let Savannah do it all by herself.  She was great and so neat when spreading flour over the countertop.



Savannah and I kneaded the dough...







  ...we put it upstairs in her bedroom where it was nice and warm.  But not warm enough, because it took forever for the dough to rise.  So, using Natalie's help, we turned the oven on to 100 degrees and kept it open a crack and put the dough in there to rise.  So much better!

Now the hard part came.  Savannah tried to help, but she got frusterated.  Rolling the dough into long ropes to make the pretzel.  The first two were too thick.  The last five were ok, but my arms were so sore by the end!

 Unfortunetly, I didn't take pictures of the final project.  But trust me.  They weren't anything to behold.  They were tasty though!  I made half with salt and half with cinnamon and sugar.  Did I mention they were tasty!  :D

2 comments:

  1. Yum!
    I have to use the hot water cupboard to get things to rise during the winter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum!!! I love homemade pizza. Pretty pictures too!

    ReplyDelete